Friday, August 22, 2008

Everything Starts (Again) Somewhere

This is a journal of my rediscovery of the Apple ][.

Once upon a time back in the 1970s, I had an Apple ][ with Integer BASIC in ROM. It was a great machine and did everything I asked of it. In those days it was all new, everyday brought word of new hardware or a new technique in programming on the Apple. At 1 MHz for the CPU and 48 KB of RAM, it was the finest 8-bit machine available at the time, or since. One thing to another and I parted with the Apple in late 1980 or early 1981. Recently I stepped back into the arena and picked up an Apple IIe Platinum from a vendor on eBay.

Many things have changed since then; many more (like the fun) have not changed.

These blogs chronicle my rediscovery of the Apple, some of the adventures in finding things (both hardware and software), some of the sites I have found on the web, some of the vendors still producing items for the Apples, and some of the people I have encountered along the way.

There is a lot of catch-up as this is written somewhere along in the process so many of the early entries may not be in correct chronological order.

Comments, suggestions, references, and general what-have-you are always welcome.

No comments: